Monday 28 April 2008

The best laid plans ...

Sorry for not posting for a while. The plan was that I would be in The Gambia and Joyce would be completing the claim for Gift Aid here at home. Neither came to pass. Joyce drove me to the airport last Monday. We had breakfast, I went into Departures and she drove home. She nearly got there - she crashed as she drove into the road where we live, passed out and wasn't found for an hour. Rescued by paramedics she remained unconscious in hospital for 24 hours.
Meanwhile, I boarded the 'plane which took off almost on time. Ten minutes into the flight the captain announced that we would be returning to Manchester because the computer had developed a fault. We circled around for a while to burn fuel and returned to earth about an hour after leaving it. The fault could not be repaired so we prepared to change planes. I 'phoned my daughter to inform her of this delay just before my brother-in-law called her to find how he could reach me in The Gambia!
Long and short is that he collected me and drove me to the hospital. Strange how things work out.
J is still in hospital, recovering well.
As a footnote my baggage, which should have been taken off the plane, did make the journey to Banjul, and I was able to arrange for a Gambian friend to collect the cases and distribute the contents.

No comments: