Wednesday 16 January 2019

Fiction and fact?

People who haven't quite got round to reading or buying my Malinding series of books ask 'Well, what exactly are they about?' Good question. I'll attempt an answer. First of all, they are not crime stories, although crime features in some of them. Not crime in the detective novel sense; crime by the State against individuals and minorities. I worry about people who avoid voting in elections; sometimes such apathy leads to the election of governments which do not care for the welfare of the poor, the homeless, the weak or the aged. Such governments tend to support only their own supporters, the wealthy, the influential, the aristocracy. But my books are only political by inference.
'Do your characters make love?' Of course, they're human. And the odd one, thinking here of the Lord Protector, use sex, not love, as a weapon of control. He doesn't prosper.
I try to write about the sort of people I might have as friends and neighbours. They may not be perfect, few of us are, but they are caring, loving, well intentioned people who sometimes get it wrong...
I decided that the easiest way I could show you what I write is to publish here a few extracts from some of the ten books. Tasters, if you like. Hope you enjoy the taste; all income from the sale of the books goes to help people, real people, in real Gambian villages, who need real help with their health care or education. Malinding is not a real village, and for goodness sake don't try to follow the directions I suggest in some of the books; you might at best get very very wet and, at worst, make a crocodile very happy ...
Many of the other places mentioned in the books are real, the wonderful range of food and drink is very real, as is the sunshine (and the rain). Most real of all is the welcome given to visitors; friends of a lifetime.
Religion? None of my business. If you're a good, kind, considerate person that's all I need to know. That's how we try to live, and most of the fictional inhabitants of Malinding seem to manage it too.
Kindness, that's the keyword.

No comments: